Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sunny Day Cake



I figure if any day is a great day for this post, it has to be Easter. (I do have all kinds of things I made for Easter dinner but those will come at a much much later date -- when I eventually catch up with this blog.) Doesn't just looking at this cake make you happy? Well, it made us happy. (So happy you'll forget to watch your diet.)

It's really actually quite easy to do. A little time consuming, but doable. I used the same recipe that Omnomicon used, but you can use any white cake that you like.

Basically, for the cake, all you need is a box of white cake mix and a bottle of Sprite Zero (or Diet Sierra Mist, or Diet 7up, or, you get the point...)

Sunny Day Cake
From: Omnomicon

2 boxes white cake mix
24 oz of clear diet soda
gel food colouring
16 oz whipped topping (I misread this and used the canned whipped frosting, instead of something more like Cool Whip)
2 oz instant fat-free sugar-free pudding mix (2 smallish boxes) (I omitted this unfortunately)


Mix the Sprite and white cake mix together. Warning: it will still be a little lumpy. Divide batter evenly into 6 different bowls (or evenly into however many different colors you want).


Add food coloring to each bowl. I tried out the new gel food colors. Not quite sure if I'm a fan.


Add batter to two cake pans. To get the rainbowing pattern: in pan #1, add 3/4 of the red batter. In pan #2, add 3/4 of the purple batter. I kind of spread it around a little bit -- make sure that the center does not get too thin.

Repeat with orange in pan #1 and blue in pan #2 (using between 2/3 and 3/4 of the batter). By the third layer you should use about 2/3 of the batter (for the yellow in pan #1 and green in pan #2). Now add the remaining batter to the respective pans (pan #1: green, blue, purple; pan #2: yellow, orange, red). You should be adding about 1/4 of the original amount of batter on your final layer.



Bake following box instructions (plus about 5-10 minutes if you use the soda method). Make sure you let cool completely before removing from pans. As you can see, I, um, may have not done so -- and look what happened.

Do a much better frosting job than I did. (I kind of ran out. And I didn't level my cakes b/c I was worried about losing the top color.)


Slice and enjoy!



Continue to enjoy and you can see the complete look sooner rather than later! (Sorry, mine is kind of messy.)


Okay, so this is supposed to be a "diet cake". And I guess it works (if I had actually used the right frosting). And now that I think about it, it would probably be even better with Cool Whip instead -- not so sweet.

If you're into trying a new type of cake, go ahead and try the "diet" version. If not, make whatever cake you want and it will still make you happy. Calories and all. ;)













Nutrition Facts
Amount per serving
Calories 381Calories from fat 121
% Daily Value
Total Fat 13.5g21%
Saturated Fat 5.0g25%
Cholesterol22mg7%
Sodium 623mg26%
Total Carbs 61.7g21%
Dietary Fiber 0.6g3%
Sugars 41.8g
Protein 3.9g
Vitamin A 4%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 16%Iron 5%

1 comment:

  1. This cake looks awesome! I'm definitely going to have to try it sometime. I'm not a huge fan of cakes though so I'll probably make cupcakes and take them to work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover